Saturday, October 23, 2010

October 23, 2010

More vocabulary:

"Where are you from?"  or "Where you from?"  a noun.  Not a true question or polite greeting, as in, "Hello fine sir, may I inquire as to where you are from?"  "Oh, hello jolly fellow!  I am from San Francisco."  Nor is it meant to be inquiry about someone's accent; as in, "Oh, I can't understand a goddamn thing you are saying, where are you from?"  "I am from the north, you uneducated sap."

It is a statement usually uttered in a neighborhood area with crappy street lights between the hours of 2200 and 0300.  The direct translation is, "I am going to (hurt, maim, kill, rob, shoot, etc...) you for no good reason right now."  The  person on the receiving end would be well advised to start running in the opposite direction.

I have been to more shootings and stabbings than I could ever count that started off with this otherwise friendly question.

No comments:

Post a Comment