Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21, 2010

Hello, my name is Roark.

I have been a patrol officer in a large city for 9 years.  The last seven of those years have been in the busiest division of my department, the last four have been in the busiest beat of that division.  The purpose of this blog is to share my stories with you, thereby providing people with a direct link to the little known, often misunderstood art of patrol.    

The stress of police work eats away at the men and women in blue like an invisible chain saw.  The sadder effects of our work manifest themselves in the form of divorce, obesity, mental illness, sickness, the list is endless.  Which brings me to the second purpose of this blog; stress relief.  Writing is a tool I use to dull the teeth on the invisible chain saw, a way to keep the demons at bay.

The names will be changed, of course, and I will avoid writing any specific details about people and places.  Please enjoy these stories, as they are the unreported, unseen photographs of my work that wind up on the cutting room floor of the local news.

No comments:

Post a Comment