Friday, October 22, 2010

October 22, 2010

I started this journal on my days off, and I don't want to re-hash an old story, but I thought I would begin with a short vocabulary primer.

"Clicking" a verb.  To speak in a rude, obtuse manner.  "I was like, hey, knock it off, and then she started 'clicking' on me."  I heard this expression for the first time when I was a baby cop.  A young female was describing how another female was speaking to her.  At first I thought she meant the young lady was clicking a pair of canastas.

"A Kick It"  a noun with verb tendencies.  To meet with close friends and speak in a jovial manner.  "So you went to a party with your friends?"  "No, it wasn't a party, it was 'a kick it,'  you know, where you go and you're like, hi."  I heard this term recently when I was taking a statement from a witness.

"Mollywhopping" or "Mollwhop"  a verb.  (Not violence against people named Molly).  To hit and kick another person in an angry, uncontrollable manner.  "Hell yeah, that motherf** got a 'mollywhopping' and he deserved it!"  My partner told me about this one.  He responded to a fight call, and needless to say, the sympathy for the victim was a bit thin.

"Whoop Whoop Whooping"  well, a verb, although it is often used as an adjective.  I think the best way to define the "type" of this word is to use it in a sentence.  "Well, she came over here, and she was all 'whoop whoop whooping' and I TOLD her, you gotta GO."  Obviously,  this is an action, but it's really being used to describe a person's actions.  I have heard this term countless times.  People use it to describe everything from generic snarkiness, to physical violence.

"Barely" an adjective and a verb.  To describe how long one has lived in a house or apartment, but also an effort to cultivate a lie about where one lives.  "Where do you live?"  "I am not sure, I just barely moved there."  "How long have you lived there?"  "Oh, I just barely moved there last year." The use of this of this term is usually an indication the person is lying.
            
These are just a few that I remember, more to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment